How to further your career as a paralegal at a law firm
Hi. I am Gawie le Roux. I have developed various courses for the legal profession over the past 25 years. This is a new course and I was lucky enough to get a highly experienced lecturer to offer the course. He is Mr Frans Haupt, now retired, but formerly the director of the University of Pretoria Law Clinic. Under his leadership the clinic received a number of institutional, national and international awards for education innovation and community engagement.
You may be wondering
what this diploma is all about?
The diploma provides the practical knowledge and theoretical background required to become a more competent employee in a law firm.
How can it further your career?
This question can be answered quite simply from feedback received from students who attended the course previously:
- “I was introduced to various aspects of law and learned a lot about the general legal framework in South Africa.”
- “I gained an understanding of legal procedures as well as essential legal terminology and concepts.”
- “What I value most is the practical guidance and knowledge acquired that will help me do my job more efficiently.”
- “I can most definitely go back to the office with a better understanding of how the work I am currently doing fits into the bigger picture.”
- “The three modules are in line with the work that I do and have given me a better understanding of why things have to be done in a certain way.”
Who should attend?
Legal secretaries, personal assistants, legal administrative staff and receptionists already working in a legal environment, but also anyone starting a career in a legal field.
You might be wondering about the
open book evaluation
and whether you will be able to cope.
I know exactly how you feel. In fact, I tend to feel the same way when confronted with any kind of evaluation. But unfortunately you do need to undergo an evaluation in order to earn your certificate for each module and obtain a diploma for the entire course.
But let me set your mind at ease. This is how it works: After each module you will be evaluated on the basis of an open-book test. The idea is not to test your memory, in other words to see what you remember by rote, but rather to establish whether you are able to apply in practice what you have learnt during the lesson. During the evaluation you are allowed to refer to the lecture material supplied to you, just as you would be able to use it in the office.
So far, all our students have done exceptionally well. Here is some of their feedback:
- “The notes are easy to read and to understand. They are user friendly and the presentation by Mr Haupt was fantastic! All this makes the evaluation a most satisfying experience.”
- “The notes are very clear and well organised.”
- “A special thanks to Mr Frans Haupt for his professional approach and friendly teaching manner.”
Now that I have addressed your reservations about the evaluation, let’s look at the
duration of the course.
The diploma consists of three modules presented over the course of three days, where one day is devoted to each module.
You can choose to do the entire diploma over three days or just one or two modules over one or two days.
The modules can be spread out over a period of time, which means that if you only choose to do one module the other modules can be completed at a later stage.
Structure of the diploma
Module 1 - Basic Legal Practice and Civil Procedure
Module 2 - Advanced Legal Practice
Module 3 - Advanced Civil Procedure
Press the “course content” button for more detail.
There are two methods of presentation
for this course:
- Attendance: You could choose to attend our lectures, which are offered in Pretoria, Johannesburg, Cape Town and Durban. Dates and course fees are to be found on the registration page.
- Home study: If you are really unable to attend the lectures you could register for the home-study course. You may register at any time. The only requirement is that each module must be completed within 2 months after registration and the entire diploma must be completed within 6 months.
So, you can do it!
Lastly, you may be wondering
what the main features of this course are?
There are three unique features:
- Comprehensive and user-friendly notes containing examples are provided. You can use and consult these notes at your workplace after completing the course.
- The lectures are informal and the notes and examples form the basis for discussion.
- An open-book evaluation is conducted in order to establish whether you understand the work and are able to apply your knowledge in practice.
Obtain your three certificates and the diploma
A certificate is issued for each module upon successful completion of the evaluation as proof that you have the ability to apply the learning content covered in the module.
- By attending this course, you will equip yourself to be a more informed and competent employee in a law firm.
- You will come away from the course with a thorough knowledge of the general legal framework in South Africa.
- You will gain an understanding of legal procedures as well as essential legal terminology and concepts.
- You will receive practical guidance and knowledge that will help you to perform your functions more efficiently.
- You will become more productive and – as a bonus – start to really enjoy your work!